Girl in Bionic Suit 2004: Of the little black one
.
Wednesday, October 27
Of the little black one

Here I am, sitting alone on a bench in the kids' section in Borders, typing on my powerbook. I was looking for the book "Photography" by London and Upton, whose price tag would inevitably cave out my already hollow pocket. Fortunately or unfortunately the book is currently out of stock so my pocket will live to see another day.

Borders is unusually lay back today. Probably coz it's a weekday (and dinner time now too), and exam period for the students (luck, Derrick).

I appreciate such moments of the day/year where there are no hustle and jostle of people way more beautiful than me, and I can get seats without even actively looking for one. Being here alone in a corner of the Big Peaceful Bookstore with my overloaded canvas bag reminds me tremendously of my Borders times back in Tally/KW/NYC/etc.

Then, driving down to the Borders and/or Barnes and Noble was a thrice-weekly affair. We could run out of groceries and had to survive on chips and leftover rubbish but we could not miss the opportunities to get lost amongst the collections of new books, magazines, soundtracks, puppies calendars and good-to-look-at-only gifts.

Back then I would also be with my overloaded denim bag. Only those times, it was occupied by a very tiny black fur ball in perpetual hibernation. Occasionally the little one would wake up and peer out of the bag so that you saw a pair of small furry ears, half-opened sleepy eyes and a tiny stubby nose just staring blankly back at you. He didn't know it, but he melted many hearts and brightened many others' days, when he yawned like a little tiger showing off its rows of baby teeth, stood precariously at the edge of the armchair whenever he thought I went too far, and walked unsteadily in the winter winds outside the Bookstores. But mostly he made people laugh just by being himself, even when he was just sleeping in my lap or standing on the pavements in his small knitted tees.

Those were the happy times. and coz of that, so is now, just sitting here in Borders again, and thinking of him.
posted by redshot on 27.10.04

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


the author
about
home
2007
2006
2005
2004

search

archives
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004

resources