Girl in Bionic Suit 2004: Barbecue by the Beach
.
Monday, December 20
Barbecue by the Beach

Cooking is never my game. I usually leave that to the boys, or the model wives / husbands. So if for some weird reason, you must invite me to Seoul Garden for my birthday, please be prepared to be the chef. I will help you get the raw ingredients from the buffet tables to the pot of black cooking oil, but all things cooking are yours and yours alone.

*

On Saturday night I gatecrashed a reunion barbecue party at East Coast Park. I knew no one there (well oki I did know two of them), and had no intention to gatecrash a party of males-only, except that I was hungry and unwilling to have McD meal alone again where I could get something better just a couple of meters away.

The boys were cool. By that, I mean I didn't have to intro myself blah blah. I hated gatherings where I had to do that. I just wasn't good with all those introductory bullshit. There, all I did was to sit there and try not to look as unruly as I already was (I didn't ask to be caught in the rain, or to have Lecter's muddy paw prints all over me lorh). I didn't even have to feel paiseh about not offering to be one of the rotating chefs at the bbq pit. Hey I didn't know them remember.

I was expecting something better than McD (usually most food was, so I guessed that was hardly any expectation, but still.). But it turned out to be the most well prepped barbecue, and by a single person too.

There was the usual bbq stuff: marinated chicken wings, prawns (hmm yum), crabsticks, hotdogs, fishballs, potatoes, otah (junkie food ! my love), satay and tutupuk (square rice in leaves ? ) with yummy satay sauce. Then there was bread with garlic spread on toast (Ya Kun style), Taiwanese sausages, cucumbers, honeydew x1, watermelon x1 and champagne x2 ! Mr. Chef himself was also dishing out some other improvised bbq recipes as he cooked, like buttered-mushrooms-on-grill. I am getting hungry just writing about it.

Like a vulture, I would have devoured at least half of the food. But I was distracted trying to rein in Lecter who was busy conquering new territory, and trying not to look like I just emerged from a jungle with hair all over and in my face and mud on my clothes.

At last count, I had chicken wings x1 1/2, crab sticks x3, fishballs x1, tutupak x3/4, satay x1, hotdogs x2, garlic spread on toast x1, Taiwanese sausages x1, honey dew x1slice, otah - nil (ahh ... my greatest regret), cucumbers x infinity.

So I didn't eat much (by bbq standards) but I would like to think that I had a balanced diet like Ms Zoe Tay, and Mr. Tay PH, what with the honeydew and plates of cucumbers.

It was definitely one of the better bbq sessions I'd had. Also, I had a crush on the Chef.
posted by redshot on 20.12.04

3 Comments:

Blogger darth said...

sounds like a feast!

what is otah?

21.12.04  
Blogger redshot said...

Here, darth. Hmm perhaps I should have linked it in my article.

21.12.04  
Blogger darth said...

thanks for the link...that sounds pretty intriguing, and i'll try anything twice.

21.12.04  

Post a Comment

<< Home


the author
about
home
2007
2006
2005
2004

search

archives
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004

resources